Prime Minister meets with representatives from the Agriculture Sector. Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe held discussions with representatives from the Agriculture Sector today. Mr. Wickremesinghe highlighted the following during the meeting:
- A new Act, ‘Essential Agriculture Supplies Act’ would be presented to Parliament. This Act will ensure uninterrupted supply and distribution of agricultural materials.
- The world is facing a food shortage due to the war in Ukraine.
- USD 600 million is required to ensure adequate supply of fertilizer to the country.
- The fertilizer companies are able to supply the required quantities only if dollars are released by the Banks.
- Officials were asked to identify underutilized land in urban areas for cultivation.