While addressing a media gathering, the Minister of Transport, Bandula Gunawardene, revealed the special transportation plans which are to be implemented from June 15th, 2022.
- A new luxury intercity express train service will be introduced, which will operate between Kandy and Colombo daily. The train will leave Colombo Fort at 5.20 a.m and reach Kandy at 8.14 a.m. The same train will leave Kandy at 4.50 p.m and reach Colombo Fort at 7.40 p.m.
- An office train will operate on the Kelani Valley railway line from Waga to Colombo Fort. The train will leave Waga Railway Station at 6.20 a.m and reach Colombo Fort at 8.12 a.m. It will leave from Colombo Fort at 4 p.m and reach Waga Railway Station at 5.40 p.m.
- Another luxury intercity express train service will operate from Mount Lavinia to Jaffna every weekend from June 17th 2022. The train will leave Mount Lavinia at 10 p.m and reach Jaffna at 5.30 a.m on the following day. The train will leave Jaffna on Sunday night at 10 p.m and reach Colombo Fort at 5.30am on Monday.
- The number of buses operating under ‘Sisu Sariya’ service will also be increased. Therefore, twenty buses will be assigned to operate from Wednesday 15th June to enter Colombo City from every entry point. The number of buses will be increased to 50 within a month.
- The new ‘Park & Ride City Bus Service’ system will also be introduced at 6:30am on 15th June 2022.
- This is introduced to enable commuters to engage in their daily activities without the hassle of entering Colombo City in their vehicles. They will be allowed to park their vehicles the Makumbura Multi-modal Transport Centre (MTC), Kadawatha, and Katubedda parking areas.
- Luxury bus services will operate every ten minutes from MTC, Kadawatha, and Katubedda until 8.30 a.m. The bus services will operate every 15 minutes between 4 p.m and 6 p.m from Colombo to MTC, Kadawatha and Katubedda. Bus services will operate every hour between Colombo, MTC, Kadawatha and Katubedda between 8.30 a.m and 4 p.m.
- Two filling stations will also be setup at the MTC and Bastian Mawatha in Colombo to ease the refueling of buses and school vans.